Accidental Collections

Chat with others about anything not website-related.
Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Accidental Collections

Postby Robin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 am

Do you have a type of item in your space that you've ended up with a lot of for no apparent reason? I call these "accidental collections," LOL! (Mine is apparently notepads--i have approximately 50 kazillion notepads and I don't even use notepads all that much ROFL)
a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
http://www.withinmyworld.org/

catnox
Saffron
Saffron

Re: Accidental Collections

Postby catnox » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:18 am

I would also say notepads! Also mugs. We have so many. I love them but we gotta get rid of some before they take over.

Lethe
Lunar Tear
Lunar Tear

Postby Lethe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I feel like plushies will always be accidental collections now that I'm no longer a child... Meaning that, as a child, I'd specifically want plushies, heck give me all the plushies, I will hoard them all. (Until you have too many and your parents decide that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, and the pile somehow gets smaller. I don't remember where all the plushies went back then, but I see this same trend happening to my half-sister now lol.) As an adult... plushies just... find their way to me... I didn't even seek them out...

Spoiler: No, I did not mean to end up with ten of them on my bed, but ???

Writing this just made me realize I didn't even buy any of these myself. :shock: Lucky. :lol: :lol:

I also really like bookmarks, even though now that I'm done with most of my law studies, I don't need as many anymore. (My prettiest ones are still stuck in all the manga volumes from an attempted shrine project like 4-5 years ago SOB.) I like grabbing nice free ones when you buy something at the bookstore, though I mostly buy online nowadays. Book Depository seems to give out a free bookmark with every purchase (or several if they split up your shipment?), and their current set is exactly my aesthetic. ;_; I'm trying to collect them, but I keep getting doubles haha. I hope I get the castle and skull ones soon; no idea how long these are available since I'm rather new as a customer.

... This doesn't even count as collecting, but I've got a considerable amount of coloured bands from shirts/dresses/etc. The thing that they sometimes use to keep shirts on hangers at the store, but that you usually cut off after buying (otherwise they may stick out awkwardly when you wear your stuff). I always feel like they're too pretty to throw away because COLOURS. ;___; Until a few years ago, I used to tie them into ribbons to decorate my bookshelf with.
in the dark,
ephemeral looks a lot like eternal.

Mei
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Mei » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 am

Definitely plushies for me. I've got a whole batch at my parents' house that I couldn't bring with me, and my boyfriend and I have pooled together our collection and have been growing it since we moved in together. They used to be displayed on our guest bed, but now that we have a cat that lives in the guest room, they're in a little garbage bag until we can find somewhere to put them!

I've also amassed a bunch of pig-themed things. At some point in time, it got out to my friends that I liked pigs, and suddenly every holiday and birthday I was getting pig-related stuff. So we have all these kitchen utensils now that have pigs on them or are shaped like pigs, haha. I don't mind, but it's funny to see.
il ne pleut pas

Masao
Crystal Grace
Crystal Grace

Postby Masao » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 am

haha omg the plushies, the reason I refuse to even accidentally collect any is because I do not have space for it, and I shudder to think of the fur mess my cat would make if she started sleeping on them.

The thing I probably accidentally collect are notebooks/journals. I used to buy any nice ones I see in Barnes and Noble, Borders, and now Daiso. But then I never really write in them because I don't want to "ruin" them with my scratches. And when I used to work at a crafts store, I would catch the sales and just buy all the little notebooks there were, and then pack them all in a bag inside a box, unused. :sweat:
All New, Faded for Her

Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Robin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm

catnox wrote:I would also say notepads! Also mugs. We have so many. I love them but we gotta get rid of some before they take over.

MUUUUUUUUGS omg we have so many mugs at our house (mom loved collecting them but never did use any of them that much LOL). Literally I only ever remember Mom and Dad using like four mugs to actually drink out of. Plus we have a bunch of them from floral/balloon arrangements, so a lot of them say "Happy Birthday" and "Congratulations," etc. xD

Lethe wrote:I also really like bookmarks, even though now that I'm done with most of my law studies, I don't need as many anymore. (My prettiest ones are still stuck in all the manga volumes from an attempted shrine project like 4-5 years ago SOB.) I like grabbing nice free ones when you buy something at the bookstore, though I mostly buy online nowadays. Book Depository seems to give out a free bookmark with every purchase (or several if they split up your shipment?), and their current set is exactly my aesthetic. ;_; I'm trying to collect them, but I keep getting doubles haha. I hope I get the castle and skull ones soon; no idea how long these are available since I'm rather new as a customer.

Bookmarks find their way to me almost as much as notepads! When I was cleaning my room out finally, I found bundles of them stuffed under my bed and in my closet...lots of Looney Tunes and Garfield bookmarks xD (I read a lotttttt of books and everybody in my family knew it)

Mei wrote:I've also amassed a bunch of pig-themed things. At some point in time, it got out to my friends that I liked pigs, and suddenly every holiday and birthday I was getting pig-related stuff. So we have all these kitchen utensils now that have pigs on them or are shaped like pigs, haha. I don't mind, but it's funny to see.

LOL dontcha love it when you get recognized for liking a particular theme and then EVERY GIFT has that theme??? (Most of my stuff, especially from childhood, is blue because everyone knew I looooooooved blue, but the items themselves were sometimes kinda off-the-wall and I never used them so :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: )

Masao wrote:The thing I probably accidentally collect are notebooks/journals. I used to buy any nice ones I see in Barnes and Noble, Borders, and now Daiso. But then I never really write in them because I don't want to "ruin" them with my scratches. And when I used to work at a crafts store, I would catch the sales and just buy all the little notebooks there were, and then pack them all in a bag inside a box, unused. :sweat:

HIGH FIVE FOR NOTEBOOK COLLECTORS and for never being able to write in them because anxiety :sweat: LOL I have found SO MANY unused notebooks from when I was a kid--I must have begged to buy one at every store we went in or something! (On the other hand, in their fairly pristine condition, they make good donation fodder for back to school times ^O^)

Crystal
Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Does it count as an accidental collection if someone else buys them for me? My family knows I absolutely adore frogs, they are my favorite animal. Something Mom used to do when she worked at her previous jobs was buy me frog plushies. I'm not even sure how many I have right now and sadly they are all in a bag because I have no room for them anywhere. I have one that I sleep with though so he's on my bed all the time. I can't really think of anything besides that.
One kingdom's fall is another kingdom's freedom
One sovereign's war is another sovereign's peace
One mother's pride is another mother's sorrow
Their tears both soak the land that they love

Mei
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Mei » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 am

Robin wrote:LOL dontcha love it when you get recognized for liking a particular theme and then EVERY GIFT has that theme??? (Most of my stuff, especially from childhood, is blue because everyone knew I looooooooved blue, but the items themselves were sometimes kinda off-the-wall and I never used them so :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: )

Haha, yeah, most of the time they're all super cute and I appreciate the thought that went into buying them, but, STOP GIVING ME THINGS GUYS, I DON'T HAVE ROOM FOR THEM ANYMORE! I really don't need every single item that is pig-themed xD

Robin wrote:
Masao wrote:The thing I probably accidentally collect are notebooks/journals. I used to buy any nice ones I see in Barnes and Noble, Borders, and now Daiso. But then I never really write in them because I don't want to "ruin" them with my scratches. And when I used to work at a crafts store, I would catch the sales and just buy all the little notebooks there were, and then pack them all in a bag inside a box, unused. :sweat:

HIGH FIVE FOR NOTEBOOK COLLECTORS and for never being able to write in them because anxiety :sweat: LOL I have found SO MANY unused notebooks from when I was a kid--I must have begged to buy one at every store we went in or something! (On the other hand, in their fairly pristine condition, they make good donation fodder for back to school times ^O^)

Guuuh yes notebooks were an obsession of mine. Or really any type of office supply. I have all these pens, stickers, stickies, notebooks that are super cute that I was afraid to use because then I'd end up ruining them.
il ne pleut pas

Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Robin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:22 am

Crystal wrote:Does it count as an accidental collection if someone else buys them for me? My family knows I absolutely adore frogs, they are my favorite animal. Something Mom used to do when she worked at her previous jobs was buy me frog plushies. I'm not even sure how many I have right now and sadly they are all in a bag because I have no room for them anywhere. I have one that I sleep with though so he's on my bed all the time. I can't really think of anything besides that.

Yes that is definitely an accidental collection--that's how I think I've ended up with all the notepads I have (gifts and such), LOL! I know that feel of having a TON of cute things and no more room to display them all :(

Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Apparently we have a ton of accidental collections in the kitchen...bread bag tabs, toothpicks, and homeless plastic silverware LOL

Return to “General Banter”