Coding Tips and Guides, anyone?

Ask here for input on technical website issues.
extravanilla
Saffron
Saffron

Coding Tips and Guides, anyone?

Postby extravanilla » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 am

I have stopped coding my websites but with all you around me, I am inspired to do coding once again.

In this regard, could you give some tips or guide links on how to code? I would love to start from zero since I have forgotten all basics.
Your help is very much appreciated c:

Masao
Crystal Grace
Crystal Grace

Re: Coding Tips and Guides, anyone?

Postby Masao » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 pm

One of my favorite code guides is the one by @mdo, it's more of a "best practice" sort of guide, and while you don't need to do everything the way he does (I don't), the takeaway is to keep things consistent so that your code is easier to read.

For general knowledge, W3Schools has a pretty good guide.

HTML Dog also has a pretty good list of tutorials.

When you do play around with code, sometimes the best learning tool is to just play around. Open up "Developer Tools" in Chrome or "Web Developer" in Firefox (right click on a page to inspect), and see how other sites do something.
All New, Faded for Her

extravanilla
Saffron
Saffron

Postby extravanilla » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 am

Thank you very much for the tips Masao! I will surely put them into good use!

Lethe
Lunar Tear
Lunar Tear

Postby Lethe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 pm

I can't offer any links to refresh basics, but I enjoyed crawling the ones Masao linked! I particularly like the way HTML Dog packaged their sections. It gives you a good rundown of the building blocks you have, just so you know what's possible. When you need more in-depth guides and demonstrations of what you can do with those elements later on, you can google for more. (I usually end up on W3Schools or individual blog posts.)

When I got back to making websites a few years ago, two things that I had to learn were things I struggled with at first, so I'll link them here in case it interests you: floats and difference between block/inline-block/inline. I just noticed they had become much more common in layouts, namely when moving away from using absolute positioning and tables all the time.
in the dark,
ephemeral looks a lot like eternal.

catnox
Saffron
Saffron

Postby catnox » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:41 am

https://www.codecademy.com/learn has some pretty easy-to-follow tutorials for both learning new languages and refreshing your memory. I hope one of the links on this thread helps you, I'm excited to see what you make! :heart:

extravanilla
Saffron
Saffron

Postby extravanilla » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:45 am

Thank you for the suggestions! :)

Return to “Help Corner”