Post-Opening Survey

News and community-related events.
Forum rules
For minor updates and a convenient way to keep up with announcements and events, follow @therosekeep on Twitter!
Lethe
Lunar Tear
Lunar Tear

Post-Opening Survey

Postby Lethe » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 am

Hello, everyone!

It's been about a month and a half since The Rose Keep opened its gates, and we're overjoyed to see how many of you have not only joined, but also actively got involved around the community, and have reached out to others! :smile:

Thank you for your interest and participation in our two starter events, Summer Vacation!! and Flower Garden Layout Marathon (the results have been posted - check them out!), for your use of the community update hashtag, for linking back to our community, and for all the Twitter activity! On the Teacake Hosting front, we're pleased to see that our offer has been of use to various members. All this support has been very helpful to this new community, and we thank you for making this opening phase so successful. :heart2:

As we wrap up this phase, we would appreciate it if you could take the time to fill out our first survey. We would like to hear what you particularly liked about the community so far, and especially where there's room for improvements. You are also very welcome to pitch ideas, as we'd love to know what you would like to see - or see more of - from The Rose Keep. Your survey input will be used to shape the direction of the community, as well as any future events.

The survey form along with a link to this topic has been sent to the email address you've set for your forum account.

The form closes in about two weeks, on September 17th.

The survey is anonymous so that you can voice anything that comes to mind. Know that you can also reach us through other means anytime if there's anything you'd like to tell us.

Thanks again for all the enthusiasm!
in the dark,
ephemeral looks a lot like eternal.

Masao
Crystal Grace
Crystal Grace

Re: Post-Opening Survey

Postby Masao » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:04 am

If you had admin emails disabled in your settings and did not get the mail, feel free to let us know and we'll resend it!
All New, Faded for Her

Masao
Crystal Grace
Crystal Grace

Postby Masao » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 am

The survey is now closed! Thank you all for the participation and the feedback. We'll be compiling a detailed post addressing the points brought up in those feedback, and we hope to make changes accordingly.
All New, Faded for Her

Masao
Crystal Grace
Crystal Grace

Postby Masao » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:33 pm

As previously mentioned, certain points have came up in the survey that are points we would like to address in public (for various reasons). Here's the rundown:

Forum Organization
A new forum, Fandom Talk, was created so members can talk about fandom-related things. Please keep the rules regarding spoilers in mind, and use the toggle BBCode when appropriate.

By request, we have also made a forum available for members to ask questions related to Teacake Hosting even before signing up for the service.

Several forum descriptions have been rewritten to hopefully make their purpose clearer. To clarify, Site Talk is for conversations around websites in general, whereas Planning and Collaborations is for specific individual and group projects. Website Projects is where you plug your sites.

Additionally, the rules topics have had some minor rephrasings to better clarify these (i.e. "this forum" was rewritten to name the applicable forum, as the topics are all technically posted under Community Guide). Thank you for catching that!

We plan to leave the Announcements and Events forum as is for now.

One of the topics that was brought up was the lack of options in how to submit avatars (upload or gravatar only). Remote linking would be a lot easier, and I'd make it available if I could. However, due to the way phpBB handles remote avatars, and the security settings on my server, it won't be possible. This is a new method to read files in newer versions of phpBB, and older versions did not have this issue.

The long version is: For remote avatars to work, a specific setting in PHP must be turned on so phpBB can read the remote file, verify it checks out to the requirements (such as dimensions or file size), and then allows the avatar to be "uploaded" to your account. Most servers have this setting turned off because if you don't properly check the file you are reading, you could potentially read and load a dangerous or malicious file on to your server. Such a file, once read, could execute malicious code or do hijacking once it gets in your server.

In the same vein, the version of phpBB we're running does not have a proper extension/mod to display items or customize what is shown next to your forum profiles. Should one ever be developed and become stable for use, we would look into providing more customization and fun things to add to member profiles.

Chat Server
Another topic that was brought up was the creation of a community server on Discord. While we do encourage members to list their Discord handles in their profiles so that they may get to know each other better, there are no plans for a community server in the near future. As we are still new as a community, we would like our activities (whether it be the casual chats, the mutual introductions, or the discussions around our common hobby) to be visible on the forums. That way, anyone can jump in anytime, while those interested in the community may get a first look at us before joining. More people posting means more visible activity, which hopefully makes the community look more welcoming and appealing to everyone.

Community Goals
We want to encourage site-making of all forms here at The Rose Keep, and will be planning a wide range of topics for sharing and discussing hobby site-making in the future. Likewise, we aim to host a variety events that are open to many different sites, and many different aspects of this hobby. I personally love sites of all forms, especially those that explore new ideas and show off the interests of the site-maker. I love seeing people talk about different site ideas and keeping up blogs (and I myself have issues with keeping my blog active), so I hope we can keep encouraging and sharing all of our sites and inspire each other in the future.

Thank you all again for your feedback, suggestions, and ideas for the community. We're looking forward to providing more fun activities for members in the future. :heart:
All New, Faded for Her

Robin
Deadly Nightshade
Deadly Nightshade

Postby Robin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:38 am

This is awesome! I'm glad the survey turned out so well, and y'all are handling things so nicely <3
a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
http://www.withinmyworld.org/

Return to “Announcements and Events”