Instrumental soundtracks/scores

Chat with others about anything not website-related.
Larissa
Saffron
Saffron

Instrumental soundtracks/scores

Postby Larissa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:57 am

So I write a lot, and when I write, I generally listen to instrumental music. I used to be able to listen to music with words, but these days it distracts me too much. I can't concentrate if I don't put music on (it's too quiet) but I also can't concentrate if I start singing along!

The problem is... I need new music to listen to! I feel like I've listened to every instrumental soundtrack I have a dozen times over the past few months. Don't get me wrong, I like the music I have, but there comes a point where even I get a little sick of Final Fantasy music. (I say, as I listen to a Final Fantasy playlist.) Seriously though, I keep getting to the end of 20-hour-long playlists and going "well I guess I'll listen to this one for the fifth time this month..."

So! What instrumental soundtracks do you guys like? Give some recs, drop some links, etc, etc. Doesn't have to be just soundtracks, either -- I listen to a lot of post-rock music too and it scratches the same itch for me. Classical music works too; heaven knows I've been meaning to properly get into it for years.

And, because I can't make a music thread without offering some recs of my own, here are some of the things I've been listening to a lot lately:

• Turnabout Jazz Soul & Turnabout Orchestra — One of my go-tos when I can't decide what to listen to. All of the Ace Attorney soundtracks are great (the piano album is especially good) but imo these are the best ones. Then again I like jazz :excited:
  • Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth — Another go-to. One of the very few OSTs I actually have a physical copy of. Normally I would say I could listen to it forever, but this is the one I've put on like 5 times in the past month and I'm getting a bit fatigued. ...That's a lie, it's still great :wink:
  • Battlestar Galactica — All the music for this show is beyond comparison. Like. Just listen to this okay. Lately I've been hooked on the piano album, mostly because BSG has a very broad soundscape and to hear it reduced to one instrument is very striking. Also I like piano
  • I could go on forever so just one more: Evergreen Refuge, so there's some post rock on here. OH SNAP, I didn't know there was a new album coming out!! I didn't expect to get such good news by making this thread :cool: ANYWAY. Evergreen Refuge is pretty unique; it's a one-man-band that makes single-track, hour-long albums. Occasionally it's two tracks. My personal favorite album is As The Fires Burn but tbh it's all pretty great.
I could recommend about two dozen more things so I will cut myself off there... unless of course anyone wants more :eyes: Seriously though, what instrumental music do you guys like? Give me all your suggestions :heart2:

sob i've been meaning to make this post for a month. i'm a :turtle:
time is scattering the seeds of the mourning daylight

sugarplum
Saffron
Saffron

Re: Instrumental soundtracks/scores

Postby sugarplum » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:48 am

There are some streams on YouTube that constantly play instrumental music! Here are some of my favorites:

One of the things I find difficult to do when I listen to anything while multi-tasking is having to change playlists, so listening to streams help me a lot. Cafe Music BGM Channel on YouTube has some really good streams and is among one of my favorites.

Return to “General Banter”