Nostalgic web trends!

For any open conversations revolving around websites in general.
sugarplum
Saffron
Saffron

Nostalgic web trends!

Postby sugarplum » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 pm

All of us have seen some really cool (but now outdated) trends in the past, especially before social media became popular. Back then, the web was super new and there weren't as many people who were aware of the W3 standards like people now do today.

During your time as a web designer, what popular web trends did you see or participate in? Do you still use some of it today for nostalgic value? (Things like "pixel trading cliques" and "network names" were trends but they aren't related to web designing.) If you have some screenshots of your work, feel free to post them too!

Some of the trends I used to partake in:

• Custom-colored scrollbars: They were never considered valid CSS and only worked on Internet Explorer, but that didn't stop anyone from using them! They seem to have largely fallen out of favor since newer versions of Internet Explorer no longer support it.
  • Pop-up layouts: They were super easy to make because dealing with resolutions was a pain, especially for someone who wanted a set frame!
  • Inline frames: Especially for pop-up layouts, inlne frames were practically an art to me because they could aesthetically be part of the layout artwork in a set-frame layout. Inline frames are largely outdated, but the aesthetic can still be achieved with a simple "overflow: auto" CSS in a DIV tag!
  • Frames: They were awful for indexing but they were an easy way to display content before people knew about PHP or DIVs.
  • Infinite background DIV layouts: The trick was to set the background on repeat and use divs to position your content! Simple and easy to load! I still see some of these today, except larger and more decorated.
  • Splash pages: a lot of websites had splash pages, often with the recommended resolution of 800 x 600 and "no sticky paws" (no stealing). They fell out of favor since they seem pointless, but I still see Japanese fan art sites still use it (mostly as a forewarning not to steal/repost artwork or any objectionable content it may have).
  • JavaScript scrollbars: People loved customizing their scrollbars, and when Dynamic Drive posted a script, I saw some of them on layouts! They were a bit difficult for people who weren't very experienced in web designing, so I only saw them on a select few websites.
  • Rainbow JavaScript link: Remember when Dynamic Drive introduced a script where if you set a cursor over a link, it would glow with the colors of a rainbow? I loved it!
  • Star-exploding script: It's the script where if you click on a page, projectiles come out of it!

Some of the trends I saw:

• Side-scrolling layouts: Some people displayed their content horizontally, making you scroll in a horizontal direction. A common way I saw this work was through inline frames, and people would just line up all sections of their site with an inline frame for each section!

Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Re: Nostalgic web trends!

Postby Robin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 am

Shooooot I still do infinite background DIV layouts, LOLOL! Also iframes (especially transparent iframes) still look amazing to me, even though they're not mobile friendly AT ALL XD

I also remember animated GIF backgrounds (some nauseating, some cool--like the tiled subtle twinkly star background I saw going around). Also, HUGE blended-image headers...I wanted to know how to make those SO BAD and my photoshop-fu was not strong ;_;
a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
http://www.withinmyworld.org/

Medli
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Medli » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Wow! I actually still do a few of these. I am pretty famous for my iframe layouts, and now I have started to have color scrollbars. I try every once in a while to break away from iframes, but those are just so easy to use and create a simple pretty layout without having a lot of scrolling happen.

@Robin: blended-image headers, those are quite a thing that I use in all my layouts. I didn't even know that was a trend. I just knew I couldn't draw so I had to try something different that no one else did.
open the door and let your imagination soar.

sugarplum
Saffron
Saffron

Postby sugarplum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 am

Medli wrote:Wow! I actually still do a few of these. I am pretty famous for my iframe layouts, and now I have started to have color scrollbars. I try every once in a while to break away from iframes, but those are just so easy to use and create a simple pretty layout without having a lot of scrolling happen.

If you still want to keep the iframe aesthetic but keep it mobile-friendly, you could have the content in scrolling divs!

Medli
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Medli » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm

sugarplum wrote:
Medli wrote:Wow! I actually still do a few of these. I am pretty famous for my iframe layouts, and now I have started to have color scrollbars. I try every once in a while to break away from iframes, but those are just so easy to use and create a simple pretty layout without having a lot of scrolling happen.

If you still want to keep the iframe aesthetic but keep it mobile-friendly, you could have the content in scrolling divs!

I would do that if I could, but that is sadly a skill I have not learned yet.

sugarplum
Saffron
Saffron

Postby sugarplum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Medli wrote:I would do that if I could, but that is sadly a skill I have not learned yet.

Where you would put your inline frame, you put this instead:

Code: Select all

<div style="width: WIDTHpx; height: HEIGHTpx; overflow: auto;">CONTENT</div>

You'd just replace the width and height with the appropriate size of your window. You can also add the background, font, and the like through CSS.

Medli
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Medli » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 pm

sugarplum wrote:
Medli wrote:I would do that if I could, but that is sadly a skill I have not learned yet.

Where you would put your inline frame, you put this instead:

Code: Select all

<div style="width: WIDTHpx; height: HEIGHTpx; overflow: auto;">CONTENT</div>

You'd just replace the width and height with the appropriate size of your window. You can also add the background, font, and the like through CSS.

Thank you. I will try that out!

Return to “Site Talk”