It's time for some fun and games!! This game is a loose blend of telephone and taboo as we strive to create a mural - or several? - through combined efforts. (Don't worry, you don't need to know those games. It can't hurt to read the short bit on telephone though, as it might give you a better idea of what we're going for!)
As game rules can be a lot to take in at once, we will explain the gist of the game at first. In a second step, the rules are written out in detail, followed by some format specifications. Lastly, there is a simulated example run in the post for you to see how things are more or less intended to go. So don't worry if you don't grasp it immediately!
The sign-up period between September 6th and 13th is also meant to be a safe timeframe for you to ask questions before the actual game start if anything is unclear.
(Look at this gorgeous and happy event header that Masao made!! )
The goal of the game is to make a "mural" together, a piece that combines each of the graphics made by participants of this event. For the purposes of this game, the individual graphics won't blend into each other, so you can also think of it as a kind of collage.
- Every participant is randomly assigned a number, which dictates when it is their turn to contribute. A keyword is set at the start of the game. This keyword is only communicated to the first person in line. This first person makes a graphic in association with the keyword. They also write a short blurb that describes the subject and is connected to the keyword somehow, but the keyword itself may not be mentioned. (Think of it as introducing a subject to someone else!)
- The graphic along with the blurb are sent to us, and we pass them on to the person whose turn is up next. The next person tries to guess for themselves what the keyword may be based on this, and produces a graphic and blurb with that guess in mind. Whatever they assume to be the keyword may not be mentioned in their blurb.
- The new graphic and blurb are again sent to us along with the keyword guess, and we pass on the graphic and the blurb. The game goes on like that, with each person only getting to see the contribution of the previous turn.
At the end of the event, we will piece the graphics together and reveal them with all the blurbs, the initial keyword, and what each participant thought the keyword was.
As stated, the objective is to make a graphic together by association - and perhaps to introduce each other to new things along the way! - and NOT to correctly guess the keyword. There is NO right or wrong in this!
Below are the steps of the game in detail. Please read them carefully before signing up, and when your turn is up.
- Sign up between September 6th and 13th by posting in this topic.
- After the sign-up period, each participant is assigned a random number by PM.
- Depending on the amount of participants, more than one group may be formed. Ideally, we would like groups to consist of around 4-5 participants so that the game doesn't run for too long.
- We will PM the first participant in each group with a different keyword. Keep this keyword secret from everyone.
- The first participant in each group creates a graphic based on the keyword (specifics below).
- They write a short blurb (specifics below) that describes the subject of the graphic and gives the next participant in line an idea of the keyword, without stating the keyword itself.
- They PM Lethe to submit graphic and blurb within 4 days of receiving the keyword.
- 4 days after the previous participant's turn start, we will PM the next participant in line with the submitted graphic and blurb, without mentioning the keyword and the previous participant's identity.
- The next participant creates a graphic with a subject that they associate with the graphic and blurb handed to them as they try to guess the keyword. Again, there is NO right or wrong in this! Your subject only needs to have a connection to the input you receive.
- They write a short blurb that describes the subject of the graphic and gives the next participant in line an idea of what they imagine the keyword to be, without stating the assumed keyword.
- They PM Lethe to submit graphic, blurb, and assumed keyword within 4 days of receiving the previous participant's submission.
- The steps in the Game Progression section are repeated until the last participant in the group has sent in their submission.
The following rules apply to the graphics and blurbs submitted.
- Do not reveal anything PM'd to you to anyone participating in the event.
- Avoid major spoilers for both the graphic and the blurb. Use your best judgement as you account for the subject's popularity and age.
- Do not use fanart or non-fandom (random) art.
- The dimension for all submitted graphics is 250x350px (250px width, 350px height).
- Do not add any kind of borders to the graphic, as we will combine all graphics later on.
- Do not add text to the graphic. Background text that blends into the image, e.g. brushes or textures, is permitted.
- Your graphic should have been edited in some way, rather than an image found in a gallery and resized to fit the format.
- Your blurb should consist of 2-3 sentences. Aim to introduce the subject and to hint at the theme. The hint need not be obvious (see examples below).
Aside from these restrictions, be as creative as you'd like!
Sign-ups close on September 13th.
You have up to 4 days to send in your submission after we've messaged you with the input you need. 1 day is used as padding between the turns to account for different timezones.
Once we know the amount of participants and can split them into groups and determine their turns, we will post a schedule of the turns and their dates. If you know in advance that you'll be busy over the course of the next month (give or take), please think carefully whether you have time to participate. If you estimate that you'll be busy when your turn comes up, or if anything else suddenly comes up, please let us know as soon as possible so we can arrange for turns to be switched.
- Turn 1: September 16 - September 19
- Turn 2: September 21 - September 24
- Turn 3: September 26 - September 29
- Turn 4: October 01 - October 04
- Turn 5: October 06 - October 09
The finished murals will be posted here at the end of the event.