Personal style/fashion

Chat with others about anything not website-related.
catnox
Saffron
Saffron

Personal style/fashion

Postby catnox » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am

Lethe and I were talking about layouts earlier and I realized that my wardrobe tends to reflect my layout style - I love clashing patterns/bright images, and also earthy/neutral colors, both in my layouts and in what I wear. Does anybody notice similarities, or differences, between their own websites and fashion styles? Do you have ideas of what a person would dress like based on their layouts?

Plz post pictures of your style if you want to... keep in mind this forum public so it's ok to crop/blur your face if you aren't comfortable posting yourself, and use toggle for large images! :^)

Alternatively you can use https://www.polyvore.com/ to create outfits which is fun to do anyway :heart2: :heart2:

catnox
Saffron
Saffron

Re: Personal style/fashion

Postby catnox » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

Large images ahoy!!! I had to dig to find a picture of myself that actually showed an outfit, but here's the best example I could find for now!
Spoiler

Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Robin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Yes, I definitely think personal aesthetic extends to both fashion and webdesign! :D (Actually wrote a blog post about it several years ago)

My style in webdesign is fairly minimalist with subtle touches of design and pattern here and there--I don't often use more than two colors and one pattern in a layout, because I don't have a lot of confidence in matching colors and patterns together. (My current theme on withinmyworld.org is the most multicolored and patterned layout I've ever done, LOL) Generally, I favor monochromatic themes because different shades and tints of the same color just look SO COOL together. (Also, me and "background-position: fixed;" are besties because I hate when background patterns move along with the text--just looks scrambly and weird xD)

Examples of webdesign aesthetic: Narratives, Ephemera, Counterbalance.

I could just about write the same paragraph describing my fashion sense (or what passes for fashion sense xD). I like simple, ethereal, classy, modest styles, nothing too terribly patterned (I'm a big woman, so in general patterns make me look like I'm wearing a tablecloth). I also wear only one or two pieces of jewelry at a time, mostly because I fidget with EVERYTHING and it makes me look like a five year old playing dress-up. Most of my closet, then, is solid colors or subtle patterns along with delicate jewelry, and I combine them using one bright "statement" color/pattern and jewelry on top and all neutrals on the bottom because I got a big butt and it cannot lie. I will admit, though, I do like to show off my calves and ankles with capri pants/pedal pushers--whatever you call short pants that don't make me have to shave above the knee ^_^;;;;

Examples of fashion aesthetic: Beachy Peachy, Jade and Black, Swaths of Glamour.
a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
http://www.withinmyworld.org/

Crystal
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Crystal » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm

This isn't something I really thought about and perhaps maybe in a way the two are similar. When it comes to layouts I go for simple designs and when it comes to the clothes I wear they're pretty simple too. I like wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a jacket most of the time. Colors on the other hand can be a somewhat different story. All I own are dark colored clothes (not quite sure how this happened) and I think a lot of my layouts are more lighter colored or at least a mix of the two.
One kingdom's fall is another kingdom's freedom
One sovereign's war is another sovereign's peace
One mother's pride is another mother's sorrow
Their tears both soak the land that they love

Emma
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Emma » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:55 pm

@catnox, that dress is so pretty!

So, I've never thought about this before and it's not fashion style so much, but...my bedroom is basically the exact same colour and theme as my new domain layout. It's various shades of green with plant/flower prints and actual plants/flowers in the room too. I've had to take a moment at this realisation. :O

But yes, there is definitely a similarity between my layout aesthetic and my fashion aesthetic. I have totally worn all the colours in this layout in one outfit. I like patterns and bright colours (pastel colours look awful on me :sweat: ) and I wear either pretty and colourful dresses or pretty and colourful athletic wear. Most recent dress I bought a few months ago was this and the most recent leggings I bought are these (the colours are much brighter IRL).

I also have a lot of polka dot patten clothes. I love polka dots, and circles and dots show up a lot in my layouts (and I do run the polka dot fanlisting so appropriate).

(Occasionally I rock my black jeans, boots, scarf and leather jacket look, but that's mostly because I like that I'm lowkey cosplaying Jessica Jones and all my scarves are bright colours and at least two of them have owls on them so it's PRETTY lowkey.)
:heart2:

sugarplum
Saffron
Saffron

Postby sugarplum » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 am

This is such a cute topic! It's interesting to see how our unconscious biases appear in design!

I usually work with a warm palette, especially wth browns and pinks. I think that often shows up in my clothing too, and most of my pink/brown lacy dresses are from Tokyo Kawaii Life. I even bought a pair of Kate Spade sunglasses in pink recently! I also love wearing clothing with mascot characters on them, and my websites are filled with animals.
ImageImageImageImage

catnox
Saffron
Saffron

Postby catnox » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 am

Robin wrote:Yes, I definitely think personal aesthetic extends to both fashion and webdesign! :D (Actually wrote a blog post about it several years ago)

wow, that's awesome that you wrote about this! I love the links that you posted, too! I can definitely see the similarities between your layouts and fashion style.

Crystal wrote:This isn't something I really thought about and perhaps maybe in a way the two are similar. When it comes to layouts I go for simple designs and when it comes to the clothes I wear they're pretty simple too. I like wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a jacket most of the time. Colors on the other hand can be a somewhat different story. All I own are dark colored clothes (not quite sure how this happened) and I think a lot of my layouts are more lighter colored or at least a mix of the two.

the differences are interesting to think about, too! I know some people tend to have opposite styles between their layouts and clothing, which I think is cool in its own way. :heart2:

Emma wrote:@catnox, that dress is so pretty!

So, I've never thought about this before and it's not fashion style so much, but...my bedroom is basically the exact same colour and theme as my new domain layout. It's various shades of green with plant/flower prints and actual plants/flowers in the room too. I've had to take a moment at this realisation. :O

thank you!! :heart2: and YES, i think it definitely also extends to interior design! i guess style is just all-encompassing for the most part, but it's really cool to see the way it shows up for different people. i'll have to make a separate post about interior design because i love looking at people's homes... *is a big ol creep*

sugarplum wrote:This is such a cute topic! It's interesting to see how our unconscious biases appear in design!

right? i think it's very fun to think about! that site you posted has such cute dresses!! :heart2: :heart2:

tehrin
Saffron
Saffron

Postby tehrin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:52 pm

I live in comfortable shirts and pants. Normally shirts involve cartoon characters that I really like. I'm also partial to bright colors. I stopped buying fast fashion for the most part because with my job, working 50 hours a week minimum, I live in my work uniform. By the time I have a chance to get any wear out of anything, it's long out of style. T-shirts and hoodies never go out out style.

Oh the other hand, I'm really into Lolita Fashion. It's also a collecting hobby for me. I own a lot of Angelic Pretty and a lot of bright happy colors (lavender, mint and navy as well as chocolates), star motifs, ponies/carousels, animals, and berries. I kind of feel like this ties more into my webdesign. I'm always playing with color.
https://imgur.com/c8kRTSf

sugarplum
Saffron
Saffron

Postby sugarplum » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:13 am

tehrin wrote:Oh the other hand, I'm really into Lolita Fashion. It's also a collecting hobby for me. I own a lot of Angelic Pretty and a lot of bright happy colors (lavender, mint and navy as well as chocolates), star motifs, ponies/carousels, animals, and berries. I kind of feel like this ties more into my webdesign. I'm always playing with color.
https://imgur.com/c8kRTSf

I'm jealous of your cute lolita closet! Those jumper skirts are a dream~ I love how you work warm pastel colors into your layouts!
ImageImageImageImage

Megan
Saffron
Saffron

Postby Megan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:27 pm

I think this is a really cool post! Everyone posted such cute styles, and it's really interesting to see little hints of your personal aesthetics in both your designs and fashion! Especially the patterns! This has been a really fun post to write up because I got to think about this!

I was originally going to say that I don't think my style is mirrored in my web design very much, but after creating an image of what I'd say accurately reflects my personal fashion tastes, I can definitely see little pieces in my layouts! It's not as obvious through my color palettes (which is why I initially was going to post that it doesn't) because I mostly wear darker colors and really struggle to design dark layouts. However, I wear a lot of neutrals and subtle patterns; sometimes I'll add a bold scarf or something for a pop of color. I like to play around with different textures and layers.

I don't have any personal photos on my computer so I pulled a few examples from my Pinterest style board to illustrate the neutrals that I typically wear, how I like to play with patterns, and some different textures. Sweaters!

Spoiler

I went through every single layout that's currently up on my domains and picked a few to post here along with the clothes that I posted above.

I believe that the layout that best encompasses my personal style is Rise from the Ashes mostly through the color scheme I'd chosen. I'd muted the image and decided to emphasize black on grey and used red and green as subtle pops of color for the bold text and links. My dark layouts have a tendency to look the same, but I tried to emphasize brighter and bolder colors in all of them somehow. I noticed that I usually try to play with neutrals and light colors with subtle patterns though, which is how I would describe my fashion! I've also realized that playing with layers seems to be something I do while creating layouts too. ;D

Return to “General Banter”