[Shrine] Dornenkaefig - Idike from Ludwig Revolution

Plug your projects to show us what you've been working on!
Forum rules
Please take note of the rules specific to this forum. In addition to this forum, you are welcome to use our community update hashtag to plug updates on social media!
Lethe
Lunar Tear
Lunar Tear

[Shrine] Dornenkaefig - Idike from Ludwig Revolution

Postby Lethe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 am

I revamped this one's layout as part of the recent marathon, but only managed to upload the landing page. I held off with the rest because the new layout inspired me to give the content a makeover too, so that's what I was working on up to now. :excited:

I did like the previous layout at the time, but it was also very uninspired, and had nothing to set itself apart from my other shrines. With the new one, I tried to break out of what I usually do, i.e. be less lazy and add more of the kind of ornamental details I had always admired in, say, Andrea's or Emma's layouts. (Me before: "Like hell am I going to track down a graphic to use as text divider. :| Decorations for headings? Naaaaaah.")

As for the content, I heavily rewrote some parts of the shrine, especially the intro page, and edited almost every other sentence because I wasn't satisfied with the state of things. Quotes were retranslated, new images were added (the previous ones were 80x80, not sure what I was thinking), etc. Full update log here.

Several elements from the previous layout were left as is, but as a whole, the new design with all the added/edited content elements clearly sets itself apart from its previous look. (I thought the shrine was much smaller than it was because the previous content area was so small. :eyes: :eyes: ) I hope it makes for an enjoyable visit to others too.

I learned a lot from this revamp - thank you to everyone who inspired, motivated and helped me! :heart: If there are any mistakes or suggestions, let me know! :yes:
in the dark,
ephemeral looks a lot like eternal.

Larissa
Saffron
Saffron

Re: [Shrine] Dornenkaefig - Idike from Ludwig Revolution

Postby Larissa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 am

leeeethe this is so gorgeous. ❤ I absolutely love everything you've done with this. I really liked the last layout, but oh man, this new one is so fantastic. It's obvious on every page how much work you've put into making each little thing pop, and the end result is fantastic. I particularly love the decorations on the images, and the quotes attached to images -- the resulting effect is just lovely. :heart2:

I also reread the site since it's been quite a while (and to see the new additions, of course!) and was immediately reminded of how much I love this site. This is such a great example of a site for a minor character: you provide context for the series, you cover Idike's story, and then you get right on with what you want to say about her. The presentation only makes it a more enjoyable read -- and I really liked how you put the gallery in the middle! It reminded me a lot of In Another Dream, haha. :eyes:

The only thing that stood out to me were the blockquotes with multiple paragraphs -- it was very noticeable when there was a decoration for the first paragraph, but not the second. Maybe consider putting the decoration on both paragraphs for a more unified look? :smile:

All in all, this is a lovely revamp and you should be very proud of the result. :heart2: :heart: :heart2:
time is scattering the seeds of the mourning daylight

Sophia
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Sophia » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:33 pm

I think I disagree that you don't usually employ little details throughout your layouts, but certainly this particular design had such strong and lovely details everywhere -- it was a really nice blend of the theme of the revamp and the character's own motifs. I found it absolutely gorgeous, and I so very much admire how you took all of these individualistic pieces and yet they come together cohesively as a creative product. In particular, I loved the little floral flourish beside images, the fancy once-upon-a-time-y first letters, and the book-ending images at the top and bottom of the page.

This was my first time reading through the shrine, and your presentation of Idike's agency in her own fairytale (as her own liberator and jailer) really resonated with me, and I appreciated your indication of it as a personal lesson. I don't think I often appreciate that kind of choice, the bad kind; I often de-emphasize the will of the person who makes the choice as poor information or understandable emotional compromise or something like that. There's more to say, but I really enjoyed your closing notes on these issues, and this shrine serves as a nice example of why shrines may not be 'favorite characters' -- just a place where you have a lot to say. In that vein, I loved the breakdown between sleeping-maiden fairy tale origins.

And of course, nice botanically correct design elements. :wink:

Well done, Lethe. This is beautiful, clear, and brilliant. ❤
EVEN WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG, I KNEW I WANTED TO BE A WRITER
AND I WANTED TO BE STYLISH, BECAUSE TO BE STYLISH WAS TO BE POISED
ON THE PRECIPICE BETWEEN REALITY AND FICTION.

women in clothes - sheila heti

Robin
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Everyone else has left such cogent commentary and has said much of what I noticed about your new design and new content, so all I have left is to quote my verbal first impression:

"OOooooooooOOOOOooooo guRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SLAM DUNK THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT RIGHT THERE RIIIIIIIIIIGHT THERE FLOWERS N LEAVES THAT FAIRYTALE A E S T H E T I C 100% GOOD JOB"
a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
http://www.withinmyworld.org/

Lethe
Lunar Tear
Lunar Tear

Postby Lethe » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:52 am

Larissa wrote:The only thing that stood out to me were the blockquotes with multiple paragraphs -- it was very noticeable when there was a decoration for the first paragraph, but not the second. Maybe consider putting the decoration on both paragraphs for a more unified look? :smile:

Thank you so much for your feedback, and omg I'm so touched you reread the shrine! I still remember how you told me back then that you went and read the actual chapter first, which made me go :shock: :shock: :shock: . :heart2: Your shrines to minor subjects/characters are very inspiring, so your praise makes me very happy. <3 <3

(Damn I can't take credit for the gallery placement because that was entirely a matter of navigation symmetry here LOL.)

I hadn't thought that the blockquotes with multiple paragraphs might look weird with that indent, but I'll play around later on and see whether I'll have the decoration repeat (I think it might look weirder?) or to indent the second paragraphs too. Thank you!

Sophia wrote:I don't think I often appreciate that kind of choice, the bad kind; I often de-emphasize the will of the person who makes the choice as poor information or understandable emotional compromise or something like that.

Thank you so much for reading the shrine and taking the time to comment on it in such lovely words! Your thoughtful response on anything is always a delight to read; I love how I get to reexperience and reexamine things in your words, from your angle. It's always very enlightening.

I think with fictional female characters in particular, it's easy to think of their reactions and actions as emotional compromise as you put it, especially when neglectful writing doesn't provide much insight. I've seen a fair share of negative fandom response in that regard, which is why I'm particularly fond of female characters that mess up while being aware of it. I'll gladly take that hint of self-awareness and run with it. :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Adding all the decoration was sooo time-consuming, but also very fun and rewarding, so I'm happy everyone enjoys the end result too.

Robin wrote:"OOooooooooOOOOOooooo guRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SLAM DUNK THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT RIGHT THERE RIIIIIIIIIIGHT THERE FLOWERS N LEAVES THAT FAIRYTALE A E S T H E T I C 100% GOOD JOB"

Haha, thank you, Robin! I'm glad you enjoy the aesthetics so much. <3
in the dark,

Crystal
Wintercress
Wintercress

Postby Crystal » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 am

What? But your previous layout was amazing! Although this one is pretty kickbutt too. :heart2: I haven't had a chance to reread through the content yet so I can only comment on the layout right now which I adore. Hopefully I'll have a chance soon!
One kingdom's fall is another kingdom's freedom
One sovereign's war is another sovereign's peace
One mother's pride is another mother's sorrow
Their tears both soak the land that they love

Lethe
Lunar Tear
Lunar Tear

Postby Lethe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:29 am

Crystal wrote:What? But your previous layout was amazing! Although this one is pretty kickbutt too. :heart2: I haven't had a chance to reread through the content yet so I can only comment on the layout right now which I adore. Hopefully I'll have a chance soon!

Thanks a lot, Crystal! I'm really touched that people liked my previous layout even though it seemed so bare-bones. <3
in the dark,

Masao
Crystal Grace
Crystal Grace

Postby Masao » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm

Omg sorry it took me so long to sit down and finally read this thoroughly!!! You know how lazy I am. :eyes: :turtle:

Anyway, I took the approach of reading everything from the beginning, and since I didn't read your old content, I can't compare, but I definitely love how it all runs so smoothly together, like I'm in for a hand-holding, bedroom story-telling of sorts. :eyes:

I really like how you separated things (and how you hide certain "extra fluff" sections under hide toggles), the only thing I would add is it might be more helpful and more intuitive if the toggle "click here" links changed cursor on hover, to better indicate that they are clickable.

I also really like the way you sectioned off the character portraits and volume info (yay dashes), and how you emphasize which chapters are worth reading (and that totally adds a more personal touch to the whole thing). When I glanced at your shrine before the revamp, I didn't realize how minor of a character Idike was, or how episodic the series is. I had always heard about the series, but never got around to actually investigating what it was about.

The way you divided up pages into strictly info and strictly analysis was nice, and gives the readers two distinct views of the site. The extra bit on the character name was also really interesting, especially with how translation and different languages can affect one's understanding of just a name. And the comparison of differences between Sleeping Beauty and Little Briar Rose was really interesting too (I'm only familiar with some of Grimm's tales, most notably "The Six Swans," and of the Disney adaptations, I'm probably most familiar with the "real" story of "The Little Mermaid"). All of this makes me want to fully read my copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Your "Retelling" page gets into a lot of details on storytelling I honestly take for granted, and don't often carefully think on. The way you section it off also makes a lot of sense, and you explore in so much details what really is a short piece of fiction, and it really shows how much thought you put into the whole site.

Last, but certainly not least, I really love all the details you did for the styling, especially the way you used bold and italics to emphasize specific words in your writing (it actually aids in the reading, versus the way I use them in a largely aesthetically, but useless way in most of my sites). The flares given around images and quotes are really nice touches, and it really inspires me to work harder on details in my own sites.
All New, Faded for Her

Return to “Website Projects”